November 28-30, 2018
Twice a year, academics, leaders, and administrators from Aurora universities meet at one of the member universities' campuses. On the 28th-30th of November, the 5th Aurora Biannual will take place at the University of Antwerp, Belgium. This year the Biannual takes place during Climate Week at the University of Antwerp.
The concurrent planning with the Climate Week is no coincidence: from now on each Aurora Biannual will cover a selection of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as their central theme. In November the SDGs will be related to the Biosphere.
Antwerp Aurora Biannual Programme
The biannual will consist of:
- Eight parallel thematic workshops, both within the key priorities of the Aurora Network and on other themes that are interesting to all, most or some of the academics/ administrators of Aurora universities.
- A General Council meeting, which is the formal meeting of the presidents and Institutional coordinators of the Aurora Network. In addition, the various working groups report on their progress, plans, and aspirations.
- A Plenary session, consisting of two main parts: the official announcement and hand-out of the 2018 Aurora Diversity and Equality Award and a session on the Biosphere-related Sustainable Development Goals, with expert presentations, bibliometric analysis and strategic discussion on these SDGs in Aurora.
For further information regarding the Aurora Biannual in Antwerp you can contact the institutional coordinator at your university.
Participants are required to make their own travel and accommodation arrangements. If you book your accommodation before October 28, there is the possibility of using a discount rate in a selection of hotels, based on availability. We made an overview of all necessary information. This, however, does not prevent you from exploring other options. We suggest not to make any arrangements without discussing them with your institutional coordinator.
There are several locations where the biannual will take place. Locations of events are clearly indicated in the programme.
(This service will only be available starting 28 October 2018)
If your university is not a member of Eduroam or if you are from another organisation and you wish to make use of the WiFi-network SSid eduroam, please be sure to make a guest-account in advance on https://www.guestroam.be/ with the following data:
- Institution you wish to visit: Universiteit Antwerpen (UA)
- Department you wish to visit: Antwerp_Aurora_Biannual
- Contact person: Elise Bauwens
- Visit from: 28 November to 30 November 2018
After submitting your data, you will receive a validation code on your email address or mobile phone. Once you have entered this, we will validate your request. Most likely we will validate all requests at the same time, a couple of days before the event.
We encourage all participants to think about their means of transport when coming to Antwerp. Take a look at the Decision Tree for Responsible Travel designed by our Global Change Ecology Excellence Centre. This tool can help you make a sustainable choice. If you wish to use a bike when in Antwerp, we can recommend Velo Antwerpen, but make sure to book in advance!
For more information on the SDGs, you can visit the United Nation Sustainable Development website.